Professor Miller came to The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa in 1988. He teaches letterpress printing, hand papermaking, and coordinates the MFA in the Book Arts Program. Although his primary focus at the university is in the teaching of traditional bookmaking, he is also the proprietor of Red Hydra Press and collaborates on various limited edition publishing projects with authors and artists. Mr. Miller is a co-director of Paper and Book Intensive, a nationally-recognized annual series of summer workshops in the book arts. He is president of the Advisory Board of the Robert C. Williams American Museum of Papermaking in Atlanta, Georgia, and is a past president of the Friends of Dard Hunter, Inc., a group of artists, crafts persons, conservators and scientists (450 individuals and companies) devoted to the art and craft of hand papermaking and related book arts.
In the Spring of 2004, Mr. Miller traveled to Cuba with UA students and faculty to finish a bilingual limited edition book of the poems of US poet laureate (2001-2003) Billy Collins, collaborating with Cuban book artists. Thus began an Artist-to-Artist, Alabama-Cuba project that has resulted in five artists’ book editions, as well as a number of Red Hydra projects with Cuban artists. In January 2014 Miller and Prof. Anna Embree will work with five advanced book arts students in Havana with Cuban poet Reina Marie Rodriguez and artist Alejandro Sainz on their newest limited edition handmade book.
BA, Sociology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1972.
Research and Creative Activity
- Recent Juried Creative Works
- Selected Recent Publications
- Recent Conference Presentations
- Full Curriculum Vitae
- BA 520 Elements of Printing (Printing I)
- BA 521 Printing and Typography (Printing II)
- BA 522 Printing and Publishing (Printing III)
- BA 523 Printing and Publishing (Printing IV)
- BA 541 Papermaking
Recent Professional Service Activities
- The Alabama Book Festival. Planned and participated in Book Arts demonstrations by our students, Montgomery, AL, April 21, 2007; April 19. 2008; April 18, 2009; and April 17, 2010.
- Druid City Arts Festival. Planned and participated in Book Arts demonstrations by our students, Tuscaloosa, AL, March 27, 2010.
- Art, Fact, and Artifact: The Book in Time and Place conference, moderator for CrossDisciplinary session, Iowa City, IA Jan 10, 2009.
- Member, Board of Directors, Collegiate Book Art Association, 2008 – 2010.
- Co-chair, Communication Committee, Collegiate Book Art Association, 2007 – 2010.
- Chair, Advisory Board, Robert C. Williams American Museum of Papermaking, Atlanta, GA, 2001 – present.
- Co-director, Paper & Book Intensive, 1990 – present.
- Nominator, The MacArthur Fellows Program, The John D. Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, June, 2004.
- Co-organizer, with American Museum of Papermaking, Papermaking Teacher’s Meeting, American Museum of Papermaking, Atlanta, June 9, 2004.
- Judge, Southern Libraries Annual Book Competition, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA, October 4, 2003.
- Judge, Southern Books Competition, Southeastern Library Association, State University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, August 25, 2001.
- Organized/ran, Book Arts 2000 And Beyond. The Council of Book Arts Programs Conference, 1999.
Recent University Service
- UA Faculty Senate, 2010 – present. Elected president 2002-03; 2012– present.
- UA Graduate Council, 2011 – present.
- UA Faculty Senate IT Committee, 2011 – present.
- Member, UA Faculty-Staff Benefits Committee, 2008 – present.
- Chair, UA Mediation and Grievance Committee, 2007 – 2010.
- Member, Task Force on Student Government Elections, 2005.
- UA Healthy Campus Director Search Committee Chair, June – July 2004.
- UA Office of Institutional Research Director Search Committee. June 2004.
- UA Healthy Campus Policy Committee, 2004.
- Member, UA Libraries MLIS Grant Advisory Board Member, 2003-ongoing.
- Chair, Vice-president for Student Affairs Search Committee, 2003.
- Faculty Representative, Board of Trustees, 2002 – 03.
- Co-chair, Student Affairs Committee, Faculty Senate, 2003.
- Member, Faculty Senate Steering Committee, 2001 – 2005.
- Member Healthy Campus Executive Committee, 2003 – present.
- Chair, Healthy Campus Director Search Committee, Student Affairs.
- Member, Alumni Affairs Outstanding Student and Outstanding Senior Awards Committee, January 29, 2004.
- Member, Steering Committee, UA 40th Anniversary, Opening Doors.
- Member, Roger Sayers Award Committee, 2003.
- Member, Outstanding Commitment to Teaching Award Committee, 2003.
- Member, Intercollegiate Athletics Committee, 2003 – 2004.
- Faculty advisor, UA Amnesty International, 2003 – present.